How can you check for bad wiring in your home? 

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Uncategorized
  4. /
  5. How can you check for bad wiring in your home? 

How can you check for bad wiring in your home? 

Wiring

With electrical wiring hidden away in the roof, walls, or under the floor where you can’t easily see it, it can be hard to know the state of your home’s electrical wiring; whether it has been recently updated and is safe or if it’s not up to Australian standards, posing a hazard to your family. Poor wiring can also cause damage to expensive electrical appliances over time.   There are several indicators that your home may need full or partial rewiring. Here are some reasons you may need to look into rewiring your home or premises; 

Your current wiring is made of cotton/ rubber  

Homes with cotton or rubber insulated wiring should be rewired. Cotton and rubber insulated cabling ceased being used in homes and commercial properties in the 1970’s as the insulation has a much shorter life span than the plastic insulated cabling we use today.  As wiring deteriorates, it begins to pose a fire risk and the risk of electrocution.   

Your circuits keep tripping with no obvious appliance causing the issue  

Circuit breakers are designed to shut off your power through the circuit whenever the system is overloaded. If your circuit breaker trips frequently (multiple times a month or more) it can be indicative of a potentially dangerous problem in your home’s electrical wiring or you are taxing that circuit with too many high-energy demanding devices or appliances.  

It’s visibly deteriorating 

Often the wiring in your home is hidden away in the roof and walls. However, if you are renovating for example, and have the opportunity to visibly see your wiring, it is vital you have it checked by an electrician if you notice it is deteriorating or if the actual wires are exposed from the insulation. 

Your lights are buzzing, dimming or flickering  

Another possible sign of outdated/damaged electrical wiring is flickering, buzzing or dimming lights. If your lights buzz when they’re turned on or flicker/dim when you use multiple appliances, there’s a good chance your wiring may be to blame and out to be inspected by an electrician. 

Powerpoints overheat and feel warm to touch or are smoking/ sparking.  

Overheating powerpoints are indicative of a deeper issue with the wiring they are attached to and hidden behind the wall. 

Smell for Burning and Odd Odors. 

Burning smells mean that fire damage may have already begun and, if that’s the case, it’s imperative to have it fixed by an electrical professional immediately.

Hornsby Electric has a team of experienced electricians able to inspect your home’s electrical wiring and inform you if you need to update your wiring. Give our team a call on 9477 2550 for an obligation free quote. 

Menu