Trustpilot

Telltale signs you need to rewire your home 

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Uncategorized
  4. /
  5. Telltale signs you need to rewire your home 

Telltale signs you need to rewire your home 

Rewire

Electrical wiring protocols and standards have changed a lot in 100 years, and likewise our energy consumption these days is a lot different than it was even twenty years ago so wiring that hasn’t been updated for at least twenty years could well be putting way too much pressure on your electrical system (at the best) and may be putting people’s lives at risk (at worst). Antiquated power circuits and wiring may still operate with no apparent problems, but it’s just a matter of time before they become a serious safety issue. 

If you don’t know the last time your home’s wiring was checked, it’s a good idea to have a qualified electrician come out to inspect it for any signs of deterioration or damage. Doing so will minimise the risk of unsafe electrical hazards developing and ensures your wiring and electrical systems comply with current wiring regulations.  

There are often red flags that will indicate to you that your wiring needs to be inspected and possibly fixed. If you notice one or more of the following, it’s best to quickly arrange an electrical inspection. A trained electrician can accurately diagnose what the problem might be, then suggest the best course of action. 

Signs to look out for include: 

  • Visibly deteriorating insulation – Indian rubber cables were used in Australia from the turn of the last century up until the 1950s. This electrical wiring is insulated by cotton and is still found in many homes in Sydney. This can be dangerous as the insulation (made out of either cotton or rubber) deteriorates over time. In many cases, it has been found to have crumbled away completely, leaving live conductors exposed in walls and roof cavities.
  • Frayed electrical cables. 
  • Flickering lights. 
  • Bulbs blowing frequently. 
  • Loose or broken sockets. 
  • Exposed wiring. 
  • Small electric shocks when you use switches/ electrical appliances. 
  • Appliances that trip the safety switches on your switchboard.  
  • Strange burning or ‘fishy’ smells. 
  • Crackling, sparking or buzzing. 
  • The area near an electrical outlet appears burned or changed in appearance. 
  • Your switchboard doesn’t have safety switches.  

If you live in an older home and haven’t had an electrical inspection in the last five years, we strongly recommend that you schedule one. Even if your home has no signs of deterioration in the wiring, with wiring hidden in roofs and behind walls, it is difficult to spot any damage and could still be dangerous. 

If you suspect your home needs to have the wiring checked our friendly team will happily inspect the wiring in your home and provide an obligation-free quote for any repairs that may need fixing. Give our team a call today on 9477 2550. 

Menu