LED or ‘Light Emitting Diode’ lighting by far the smartest lighting option available. Here’s ten compelling reasons why you should update your lighting to LED if you haven’t already;
- They use around 85% less energy than halogen or incandescent lights and about 5% less energy than compact fluorescent globes. In fact, a 9 watt LED can emit the same lighting as a 50 watt halogen, saving you money.
- They have a much longer lifespan than other types of lighting – see the table below. While a halogen downlight has a lifespan of up to 5,000 hours, LED downlight will outlast it ten-fold, at 50,000 hours.
- You can switch them on and off frequently without affecting their lifetime where traditional lighting’s operational life expectancy is drastically reduced by frequent on/off switching.
- LEDs slowly fade out over time and emit lower output levels, becoming less bright over a period of time. Other lighting using older technology will simply burn out and suddenly stop working.
- LEDS are free of toxic chemicals and are 100% recyclable. Where most conventional fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury or lead that are dangerous for the environment.
- LEDs don’t emit UV rays or infrared radiation which makes LED lighting a suitable option for objects and materials that are sensitive to heat and UV.
- They are much safer than other types of lighting as they operate at a much lower temperature, making them cooler to touch than halogens.
- They are most ideal for outdoor settings as they only need a low-voltage power supply and don’t suffer operational mishaps due to severe temperatures that other lighting options do.
- LEDs can deliver light more efficiently and can be dimmed to depending on your lighting needs.
- They are a waaaaay better option for the environment overall. SO not only will you be doing your bank account favour, you will also be contributing to a greener environment.
Swap your old halogen lighting with new energy efficient LED lighting. Call us now on 02 9477 2550 to talk to an electrician in Hornsby and surrounding areas.